I've been so sporadic in my posting.
But hey, it's summer :)
...and I warned you :)
|badge created by Loni Edwards|
So anyway today, because I saw something really awesome and cute, and because I feel like it. I am posting a Summer Short & Sweet! (And yes, there's that outdated badge again... pretend it says 2013. I keep forgetting to ask Loni if she can fix it!)
Ready for some fun? Wait til you see this cuteness! I saw it on Julie's blog and immediately asked her if I could use it for today's Short & Sweet. She is generous and nice and she said yes! :) So we are having a picture prompt today from the talented and incomparable Julie Rowan-Zoch. If you haven't visited her blog, you are missing out. And if you need art done for anything, contact her! She is awesome!
|Illustration copyright Julie Rowan-Zoch 2013 used by permission|
So here's our 5 minute task for today:
Think about this little guy. (For simplicity's sake I will refer to him as a boy, but of course he could just as easily be a girl.)
Who is he?
Does he have a name?
How old is he?
Are the grown-ups holding his paws his parents? Grandparents? Older siblings? Someone else?
Why does he have that expression on his face? Is he unhappy? Confused? Worried? Thinking up a plan?...?
Where is he? Or where is he going?
What does he wish for?
Now, you have a choice.
1. You can write a couple sentences of character description.
2. You can write the opening sentence of a story featuring this character.
3. You can write a pitch for a picture book about this character.
I'll do some examples... (well, I'll try anyway :))
1. Felix is 5. He loves fishing and climbing trees and baseball. He also loves bugs and dirt and strawberry licorice and his pet lizard, whose name is Not Lunch. He does not like taking a bath or eating green beans or having to share his train set with his little brother Louis who always takes the track apart. He worries that he is the shortest boy in his class. He lives in the blackberry thicket behind Farmer Pumpernickel's pumpkin patch.
2. Felix was not at all sure about piano lessons with Miss Sharp.
3. Felix's father wants him to learn karate. Felix's mother wants him to take music lesson. Felix doesn't want to disappoint them, but he longs to do something else. He wants to learn to ride a horse so he can be a cowboy. Is there any way to make mom and dad happy and still stay true to himself?
Yeah. Okay. Not perfect :) But you get the idea!
Now you go! Write your Short & Sweet in the comments. Maybe the exercise will spark a story idea for you. Or maybe someone else's character description, opening sentence, or pitch will spark an idea. Who knows?
And have a great weekend, everyone! :)